Jacket Backer Julie used that line last night and I told her I was stealing it for this blog.
In a game the Jackets had to win they didn't decide to show up until the third period.... and that is when the Blues Chris Mason (with the help of some posts) was there to preserve the 'W' for the Blues.
That's 4 losses in a row now to St. Louis. If the Jackets want to make the playoffs it just can't happen... they have to beat the teams below them in the standings.
I know Hitch and co. have to be banging their heads on the walls of Nationwide this morning trying to figure how this team, when decimated with injuries, played so hard....so tough...and grinded out victories... Now with a healthy group they aren't seeing the determined play or the result.
Perhaps we are seeing the reality of this team when they don't have a hot goalie to bail them out?
That is certainly food for thought.. but this team has also gotten away from the game that makes them successful... and as Hitch stated this morning, they will find that game again by Friday.
STOPLIGHT GAME REVIEW
* Jared Boll gets my first bit of love.. absolute domination in his fight.
* I thought Marc Methot had an excellent game.. he skated the puck well.. played big.. kept lots of pucks in the zone... in fact I give him most of the credit on the Jackets 2nd goal.
* Umberger played a solid game. Seems to be the only guy willing to pay the price in front of the cage.
* 3rd period was the effort we have come to expect.... aren't going to win games most nights with one good period though.
* He wasn't horrible but he wasn't good either. I think Mase would like to have at least two of those three goals back. Didn't control the rebound on the first... and didn't square up to Boyes on the 3rd. We've seen him make those saves look easy in the past. Victim of high expectations I guess.
* I didn't really understand the decision to sit Dorsett against a squad like the Blues. Jackets could have used his edge. That said if he still isn't cleared to fight then the decision makes a little more sense.
* I'll have to watch the Jan Hejda hit again but it looked clean from where I was sitting... Backes... well what comes around goes around buddy. Hejda is a clean player though so I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
* Two posts by Nash.. one by Modin.... just think if that Nash shorthander went in. I think the Jackets go on to win... if only.
* Tyutin with a goal a an assist. Solid game.
* I thought Rusty looked decent in his first game back in a while. Some "heavy" play.. 4 hits, 17+ minutes.. not bad.
* Jackets got a PP goal but man they needed it to come through again.. they went 1-5 with the man advantage and really after that 1st PP it was a mess.
* No excuse to not outwork this Blues team for 3 periods. That was a squad whom played last night. Jackets trying to take too many shortcuts.
* Attendance came crashing down last night with only 13,560 making the trip.
* Worst game as a Jacket for Huselius. Nothing went right for him. To many penalties..held the puck to long... passed when he should have shot... just a bad night.
* Jason Chimera should not be playing.. he is clearly still hurting.. the speed/jump is not there...not even close.
* Nash and Huselius each a -3.. ouch.
* Williams with a bad turnover with an empty net... too cute.. but certainly wasn't the reason the Jackets lost this one.
* So everyone is all excited and cheering after the Boll fight right....what does the game ops folks do? Play some stupid ass Will Ferrel video that completely sucks the life out of the building.....
* 2-2 on this 4 game home stand.. not good enough.
3 BRIGHT LIGHTS ON THE NIGHT
1. Convincing decision for Boller
2. RJ Umberger best all around forward.
3. Marc Methot... really liked his game last night.
The loss drop the Jackets to 10th in the West with 54 points. Both Dallas and Vancouver won last night which certainly doesn't hep the Jackets cause. The good news is that Phoenix and Edmonton both lost.
So is this the start of a collapse? I'm sure that is a question on many Jackets minds this morning...especially with Pittsburgh and San Jose up next. The one thing the Jackets cannot afford is to go on an extended skid... they have to stay in this fight.
My personal opinion is these two losses sting... no doubt about it....but they aren't crippling, not yet. The crippling starts if the Jackets don't get points this weekend. If this team slips to far back I don't think they have the horses to go on a run to get back in it.. they need to maintain and stay in this hunt and then hopefully Howson gets them a boost at the deadline for the final push.
They seem to play their best hockey against teams further up the standings so we'll see what they can muster up on Friday and Saturday. I just can't see them tossing in the towel with how car they've come this season -- to me that would have already happened on that 6 game road trip.
They are going to have to start taking some points from this Blues squad this season though..especially with 4 games remaining.