All-Blogs.net directory Light the Lamp - a Columbus Blue Jackets blog: Great coverage today...

Countdown to Rick Nash's contract expiration:

Monday, September 22, 2008

Great coverage today...


The Dispatch boys are coming out firing on all cylinders as the Jackets first preseason game is just 1 short day away.

Bob Hunter has a great on Hitch and his "win now" mentality here.
Tom Reed weighs in on Matvichuks (who while slow really hasn't looked that bad out there) push to make an NHL roster here.

Finally Aaron Portzline comments on Freddy Norrena's expected role as the Jackets backup goaltender this season here.

There is even an article from Suzanne Hoholik that discusses how the Jackets plan and prepare for medical emergencies on the ice here. I particularly liked this bit of info:

Head team trainer Mike Vogt is the first person to head onto the ice to assess players who need medical attention. He tells the medical staff what he's learned with one of two hand signals: If he points to the bench, he needs a doctor. If he raises a fist, everyone -- assistant trainers, team doctors and medics -- is to respond.

That is 4 NHL related article this morning. I challenge you to find any other major paper in North America who matches that.

The Dispatch continues to do an amazing job covering the Jackets and we are lucky to get the coverage that we do from those guys. Keep up the great work!

Some new interviews are up with guys like Huselius and Nash over on Jackets TV as well as video from the event held down at Nationwide on Friday afternoon. Be sure to check them out.

In addition to their published articles the Dispatch blog has their predicted 23 man roster and lineup here. Looks pretty solid but I would change a few things:

F1: Rick Nash -- Derick Brassard -- Kristian Huselius
F2: Fredrik Modin -- R.J. Umberger -- Raffi Torres
F3: Jason Chimera -- Michael Peca -- Jared Boll
F4: Andrew Murray -- Manny Malhotra -- Jake Voracek

Extra: York

D1: Jan Hejda -- Mike Commodore
D2: Rostislav Klesla -- Fedor Tyutin
D3: Christian Backman -- Kris Russell

Extra: Rome, Methot

G1: Pascal Leclaire
G2: Fredrik Norrena

Couple of notes:

* If Torres remains healthy through camp and is ready for opening night I think he gets the nod on the 2nd line. If not then I think Hitch thinks about putting Boll or Murray up there. At this point I don't think Voracek is ready to start the year in the top 6. That could certainly change if things pick up for him during preseason.

* I think Novonty is waiver-bait. York hasn't been lights out but he's been better than Novonty. With MacKenzie having a good camp and MacDonald, Kelly and Dorsett right behind him I don't see room for him.

* I hate to say it but if I had to choose today which defensemen to trade or send through waivers between Tollefsen, Rome and Methot despite the toughness he brings to the table I think Tolly is the one to go. This is by far the hardest decision for me this camp -- I go back/forth every day on this one. Glad I don't have to make it!

* The way Clay Wilson is playing he has really forced his way into the mix and could give Russell a run for his money but for now I think Russell starts opening night. They both bring 'O' and with our top 4 being the way it is this bottom pairing needs to have some offensive flair.

Fire away - what does your opening day lineup look through 2 days of camp?

-LTL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would swap out Murray and Chimera in your lines. If Torres isn't a full timer and Voracek won't be in the top 6 yet, I could see Murray in his slot (if he can play on the right side, that is).

I loved the article by Hunter. 'Competence' is the difference between this salesman and the last one ahhaha....

Anonymous said...

I just want to know why you have a man crush on Tolly and York. I have never seen anything from tolly that makes me think that he is going to help our team. If anything he hurts us. Yes He does have toughness and we do need to get tougher but going out there and being in the Box all the time does not for us. York I know little to nothing about but to me he he wasn't cutting it on another team so why is he going to cut it on this team. We have been a bad team for soo long getting peoples unwanted is not going to help us. We need to be adding good young talent or makeing some trades for better talant.