In case you haven't heard yet the Dispatch is reporting the following:
The Blue Jackets have signed captain Rick Nash to an eight-year, $62.4 million contract extension, The Dispatch has learned. That's an annual cap hit of $7.8 million.
The deal will keep Nash under contract with the Blue Jackets through the 2017-18 season.
I would assume that deal is front loaded but we'll have to wait until we see the year by year breakdown. I would also assume there is a no movement clause.
Update: Puck-rakers has provided new details on the contract:
Nash will make $7 million in 2009-10, the final year of his current contract. He'll make $7.5 million in 2010-11, and the contract goes up slightly each season before Nash makes $8.2 million in 2017-18.
In other words:
2010-2011 - $7.5M
2011-2012 - $7.6M
2012-2013 - $7.7M
2013-2014 - $7.8M
2014-2015 - $7.9M
2015-2016 - $8.0M
2016-2017 - $8.1M
2017-2018 - $8.2M
The deal includes a no-movement clause in the first five seasons, and a modified no-trade clause in the final three.
* Thank gawd we can put that behind us!!
* Congrats to Rick Nash and Scott Howson for hunkering down and getting this done. There was no need for anymore public dirty laundy.
* Thrilled to have Nash in the fold for the next 8 seasons where he belongs.
* Average cap hit of 7.8 is about right. Looks like both sides compromised and Nash left a little cash on the table to help Howson and the franchise keep their other young studs in the fold for the foreseeable future.
* I thought they would wait until Monday to announce the deal to maximize the media expsure. Announcing now though stops dead in its tracks the speculation from loud mouth fans like me and the Toronto media megaforce. On second thought, it makes perfect sense to announce it immediately!
* I only want to see Nash's "dark side" again if it has to do with the Detroit Red Wings combined with the 'f-bomb'.
* I think I'm gonna celebrate by drinking about 8 beers tonight... one for each year of the deal.
* Vermette your next... then Klesla!
* That's 3 of 4 offseason priorities with a big fat CHECK in the to-do box for Howson & Co.
* Next up.. trade for d-man.
* Now what MacLean?
* Eat it Toronto!
It's time to set sail Captain Columbus.