All-Blogs.net directory Light the Lamp - a Columbus Blue Jackets blog: Machine-dead

Countdown to Rick Nash's contract expiration:

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Machine-dead


Puck-rakers is reporting that the Jackets staple intro song Machinehead by the rock band Bush (pauses for college flashback) will be shelved this season. No word yet on the new intro song as apparently the players will get to decide.

I know, like many of you out there I'm sure, that whenever I hear Machinehead I instantly think of the Jackets (and then college extracurricular activities).

Times they are a changing I guess and I can certainly get on board with a song picked by the players assuming its half decent (i.e. if the Jackets come out to Abba Dancing Queen I may have a slight problem).

The key of course is always the product on the ice but anything to get the players jacked and the fans into the game is always a welcome addition by me (hence my constant beating of the drum for more replays).

You know what's ironic about all of this is Jackets President Mike Priest's answer to the following question on Puck-rakers:

Q: I was quite pleased to see last season that even with the obvious redefining of the Blue Jackets image (civil war, carry the flag, etc.), “Machinehead” was spared. Can you guarantee that for years to come, when I hear "Breathe In, Breathe Out", I will know it is time to take my seat, because the Jackets are taking the ice?

A: “For me personally, I think the song should reflect the players’ identity as a team since it’s played by the players taking the ice. I feel they should feel good about the introduction and it could become their statement to the fans. Fortunately, for our fans we have some very talented people in our game operations group and as such I try not to dabble in such matters. As to a direct answer to your question, I cannot and would not guarantee (the introductory song) will never change.”

Now about the other music selections by the game ops folks.....there is certainly room for improvement as well.

..and what do you know, we have our new poll question (nice to see so many folks who read this blog going to the home opener btw!)!

Thanks for those who commented below on this news.

p.s. I'd like to throw my vote in for "Devour" by Shinedown or "Walk" by Pantera.

-LTL

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bloggers 1
Hockey Suits 0

Anonymous said...

I just spent like an hour getting Machine Head and all of the other Nationwide songs to play on my copy of NHL 09. :P

Anonymous said...

I think that Live Wire by Motley Crue should be considered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Wp0I0EN88

I love the opening guitar

Anonymous said...

WALK BY PANTERA...

PERIOD...

END OF DISCUSSION...

my fave band of all time... i saw them 15 times... met them all plenty of times as well... i miss them... also would remind me of those great old school ECW days when RVD would come out to WALK ...

matter of fact im gonna crank it right now...

GO JACKETS !

Anonymous said...

" Headstrong " by Trapt would be a good one to come out to. Makes you just wanna see ol' Boller drop the gloves or have Tyutin throw a nasty hip check.

Anonymous said...

Re: Walk by Pantera

Check out this video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kqnGYk1tDI

One of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Just had a thought. Might be fun to start playing "Dancing Queen" followed by sound of turntable needle scratching across the record as it is ripped off. Voice yelling "This ain't Nashville!" Then launch into Thunderstruck by AC/DC, or....