All-Blogs.net directory Light the Lamp - a Columbus Blue Jackets blog: John McConnell passes

Countdown to Rick Nash's contract expiration:

Friday, April 25, 2008

John McConnell passes



The city of Columbus lost one of its finest sons today.

Its a very sad day for Blue Jackets fans and Columbus residents alike. John "Mr Mac" McConnell has passed. He was 84.

For Jacket fans many came to know Mr. Mac as the man who stepped forward and, along with Nationwide Insurance and some minority owners, brought the NHL to Columbus with no strings attached. He wanted to do it because he believed in this city and wanted to give back.

John H. was much more than a hockey owner. He was an industry leader, a philanthropist, a sailor, a father and a friend. He was a man of values and truth. He was the type of guy you'd just like to hug or be hugged by him.

My only wish is that the Jackets could have delivered Mr. Mac a playoff birth in reward for him giving birth to pro hockey in Columbus.

Alas it wasn't meant to be in his lifetime but he'll surely be smiling down from above when that day does come.

I didn't know the man personally but I felt like I lost someone I knew today.

Its a sad day.

He will be greatly missed by many.

Mr. Mac, thank you for bringing the game I love to this city.

Rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.

-LTL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad, sad, sad.

That is all one can say, really.

Anonymous said...

I just got the email on the Memorial and came straight to your site to read more. I've been a little out of the loop lately. I'm very sad to hear this and wish too that the Jackets could have delivered a playoff performance for the wonderful man!