All-Blogs.net directory Light the Lamp - a Columbus Blue Jackets blog: Blue biscuits

Countdown to Rick Nash's contract expiration:

Friday, May 30, 2008

Blue biscuits


Tragic news in the hockey world yesterday as 2005 #10 overall pick Luc Bourdon of the Vancouver Canucks died in a motorcycle accident. Bourdon was only 21 years old and made his NHL debut in the 2006-07 season playing 9 games before getting sent back to his junior team and then 27 last season splitting time with their AHL affiliate the Manitoba Moose.

My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends. RIP Luc.
You can read more on the story here.

Aaron Portzline reported in Puck-rakers that Columbus had the 4th highest ratings amongst US cities for game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals between Pittsburgh and Detroit:

1. Pittsburgh 33.1/47
2. Detroit 18.2/28
3. Buffalo 6.2/9
4. Columbus 4.1/7
5. Minneapolis 3.7/7

Now of course Columbus is sandwiched right in between those two cities and there are certainly plenty of Pens and Wings fans in this area.

That said those are still impressive numbers regardless as they are still hockey fans and you better believe we will have that many and many more watching when the Jackets finally make the playoffs.

Who says Columbus can't support hockey? This is a pretty damn good sign to me that they will, especially when its a winner.

The Winter Classic will be played in Chicago at Wrigley Field. Yep, its been announced. The Chicago Blackhawks will take on the Detroit Red Wings at Wrigley Field for the second Winter Classic.

Of course remember last year's Classic up in Buffalo was a rousing success for the NHL, especially in the ratings department.

The NHL has to be careful though, part of the charm of last year's event was it was something the US hadn't seen before. They must be cognisant to the fact that making this a yearly event could drain the appeal.

Still though, I'm excited for it. I like college football but give me a hockey alternative for a while on New Year's Day. I was glued to the tube for the Buffalo/Pit game last year.

Long time Toronto Captain Mats Sundin hinted yesterday to TSN that he may not return to the Maple Leafs next season:

"I do think that I have a lot of different options I can explore," Sundin said. "And I think I still remain (maintain) that I want to end my career as a Toronto Maple Leaf. Saying that, though, the way the situation is right now, I don't have everything in my control, either. There's got to be a mutual agreement there.

Sundin is a big center at 6'5" 231lbs who is 37 years old and he is an unrestricted free agent. I can hear what your saying already "we don't need another Fedorov"....but here me out for sec.

Sundin, playing for a team just slightly better than we were last year in the Leafs, scored 32g, 46a for 78p. He's averaged over 75 points his last 5 seasons and has played no less than 70 games per season in that span.

Instead of giving up assets and cash to get a center, all we would have to do is throw a wad of cash at him, say 6-7 mil over 2 to 3 years. Even at age 37 he would be a tremendous addition to our lineup...and he feels good:

"I felt very strong on the ice this year, and I felt I had as good of a year as I've had in my past 10 years maybe," said Sundin. "Maybe that would be an argument for me to play next year.

"But I don't know. I don't have a decision on that made yet."

Now say by the off chance he and Toronto part ways would Columbus really be on his radar? Unfortunately probably not but that shouldn't stop Howson and Hitch making a pitch. He's played with fellow Swedish countrymen Fredrick Modin so you better believe I have him making some calls.
Then of course there is Rick Nash. Would Sundin be interested in playing with him? I'm sure a phone call from Nash would be answered.

How does this line sound?

Nash - Sundin - Modin

..and I've already nicknamed it the "Smash" line (t-shirts are on order and copyright protection has already been submitted).

Okay I admit its a big dream as I just don't see him leaving Toronto and see this more of a negotiation tactic but hey its the off season, its time to dream!

-LTL

No comments: